Tips for Exercise After Bariatric Surgery
- Wear comfortable, properly fitted sneakers or flat shoes with laces.
- Wear comfortable clothes appropriate for the weather and the activity.
Take your time
- You must not be over enthusiastic and try to do vigorous activities from the very start. In fact, start slowly and gradually build up to at least 30 minutes of activity on most or all days of the week (or whatever your doctor recommends).
- Exercise at the same time of day so it becomes a regular part of your lifestyle.
- Find a convenient time and place to do activities. Try to make it a habit, but be flexible. If you miss an exercise opportunity, work activity into your day another way.
Keep reasonable expectations
- If you have a high risk of heart disease or some other chronic health problem, check with our physiotherapist and doctor before beginning a physical activity program.
- Try to find ways that can keep you active during the day. Walk the mall before shopping, take the stairs instead of the escalator or take 10–15-minute breaks while watching TV or sitting for walking or some other activity.
- Don’t get discouraged if you stop for a while. Get started again gradually and work up to your old pace.
- Don’t exercise too vigorously right after meals, when it’s very hot or humid, or when you just don’t feel up to it.
Make it fun!
- Choose activities that are fun, not exhausting. Add variety. Develop a list of several activities that you can enjoy. That way, exercise will never seem boring or routine.
- Ask family and friends to join you as it will exercise a fun or join an exercise group, health club or community center.
- Use variety to keep your interest up. Walk one day, swim the next, then go for a bike ride on the weekend.
- Use music or audio books to keep you entertained.
Track and celebrate your success!
- Note your activities on a calendar or in a logbook. Write down the distance or length of time of your activity and how you feel after each session.
- Keep a record of your activities. Reward yourself at special milestones with non-food items, like a small gift or shopping trip for yourself. Nothing motivates like success!
- Visit our center to find all the advice you need to get moving and stay motivated.