What Questions to Ask Before Considering Weight Loss Surgery
The answers to these basic questions will help you determine if undergoing a bariatric procedure is the smartest path in your weight loss journey.
- What is my BMI? Body mass index can be used as a starting point to see if surgery might be right for you. You can easily calculate your BMI from our online calculator. You can easily go through the international guidelines regarding the BMI on the following page (http://www.habilite.in/surgeries-specializations/weight-loss/am-i-a-candidate/) but if your BMI is over 30 and your health is affected by obesity or its complications, you must speak to expert bariatric nutritionist or surgeon about bariatric surgery.
- Do I have any weight-related medical diseases? Obesity is known to cause or aggravate many medical conditions such as diabetes, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, heart disease and high blood pressure (http://www.habilite.in/patient-information/obesity-and-its-complications/). In some cases, these conditions may make you a good candidate for weight loss surgery. But in some cases especially if they are long standing, they may affect your ability to withstand the surgical procedure. Your physician will be able to tell you more about how your condition will affect the procedure.
- Have I tried other weight loss programs?Surgery may be a good option when other methods of weight loss have failed but sometimes your BMI is too high to try other options like exercise and sometimes even diet restriction cannot give the desired results in severe obese people. However, you must take an expert opinion regarding how successful other methods will be in your weight loss journey.
- Do I have any medical disease or condition causing obesity? It is essential to rule out any medical disease like thyroid disorder, Cushing disease etc. which might result in obesity. Certain medications like anti-depressants, steroids etc. can also cause obesity. A complete and thorough evaluation is necessary before undergoing any type of weight loss procedure.
- Am I ready to modify my lifestyle? Any one undergoing bariatric surgery must understand that you need to modify your diet and eating habits. There is no permanent restriction to a particular food product but certain amount of discipline has to be maintained and believe us the rewards are going to be much sweeter.
- Have I investigated the different types of surgery available for weight loss?There are several different procedures ( http://www.habilite.in/surgeries-specializations/weight-loss/types-of-weight-loss-surgery/) available for weight loss. Each procedure has different mechanism of how it works and has its own benefit. You must inquire about each procedure available and its advantages before choosing one.