Should I have Weight Loss Surgery
Each and every patient has to fulfill a certain criteria before undergoing bariatric surgery or weight loss surgery. These guidelines are as follows:
- With few exceptions, patient should usually be in the age groups from 18 to 65 years.
- You must have a BMI ≥ 40 .However, individuals with Asian genetic background,should have a BMI>37.5
- If you are suffering from obesity related heath problems, then your BMI should be >35. Again for Asians, the BMI should be >32.5. The obesity related health problems include diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, severe joint pains, heart and respiratory disease like obstructive sleep apnoea,asthma etc
- While calculating the BMI, you must see your highest BMI attained during your life. Even if you have lost certain weight by dieting or exercise, you can still be a candidate for bariatric surgery.
- If you are suffering from severe obesity related health problem, then patients even with low BMI can undergo surgery. However, you must have tried all other non surgical methods before opting for surgery.
- Patients should have adhered with scheduled medical appointments. This shows their willingness and determination to achieve weight loss.
- You must undergo thorough evaluation under the guidance of bariatric physician. You must be sure that you are not suffering from medical diseases which can obesity or taking medicines which is causing weight gain.
Bariatric Surgery in Children/Adolescents
In adolescents with severe obesity, bariatric surgery can be considered if the patient
- Has a BMI > 40 kg/m2 and at least one co-morbidity.
- Has followed at least 6 months of organized weight reducing attempts in a specialized center.
Shows skeletal and developmental maturity.
- Is capable to commit to comprehensive medical and psychological evaluation before and after surgery.
- Is willing to participate in a post-operative multidisciplinary treatment program.
Specific Exclusion Criteria for Bariatric Surgery in the Treatment of T2DM
- Secondary diabetes.
- Antibodies positive (anti-GAD or anti-ICA) or C-peptide < 1 ng/ml or unresponsive to mixed meal challenge.