The gastric balloon procedure involves placing a silicone balloon through the mouth into the stomach and inflating the balloon in the stomach with approximately 700ml of fluid. It is a non surgical procedure and patient is discharged on same day.
How gastric balloon works:
- When gastric balloon is placed into stomach , it occupies more than 50% of the space in stomach.As a result, patients experience feeling of fullness after consuming smaller quantity of meal.
- It also slow down the passage of food and liquids through stomach making you feel fuller for a long period of time.
Who is the balloon suitable for:
- If you want to lose weight in moderate amount and diet and exercise alone has failed to give desired results.
- If your BMI is more than 27
- If you are not fit to undergo surgery for some reason.
Positives of gastric balloon:
- It is important to understand that the gastric balloon is a tool to aid weight loss and is effective only when combined with a comprehensive lifestyle programe delivered by our trained dietitians. In majority of the patients, there is average weight loss of 12-15 kg over 6-8 months.
- Lowest complication rates as compared to other procedures.
- Quicker recovery and least side effects.
- Fewer dietary restrictions following the procedure.
- In terms of comorbidities resolution, lipid disorders or cholesterol improvement is seen in 30% of patients, high blood pressure improvement in 25% of patients and diabetes improvement in 10% of patients.
- How long the procedure takes place?
Gastric balloon placement is a 20 minutes procedure and our patients are discharged on same day.
- Who is suitable for this procedure?
The gastric balloon is designed to assist with weight loss in people who ideally have 10 to 12 kilograms of weight to lose. The minimum BMI is for individuals with a BMI of 27 and greater.
- How long does the balloon stay in the stomach?
The average life of gastric balloon is about 6 months to 12 months depending upon the type and company of balloon. There is lot of difference in quality and life of balloons. you must clearly understand what type of gastric balloon is used. You must clearly discuss with your doctor about all the options before selecting a particular type of balloon.
- What happens if the gastric balloon deflates spontaneously?
A colored dye called Methlyene Blue is placed in the balloon. If any deflation or leakage from the balloon occurs, it will change the color of your urine to green.
- What are the possible side effects associated with the intra gastric balloon?
Practically, there are no side effects of gastric balloon but some patients may experience nausea for a few days after placement of balloon, the intensity of which can vary. We will prescribe medication to help minimize these minor effects.
- Will I be able to feel the balloon in my stomach?
As such you will never be able to feel balloon in the stomach. The balloon will only give you a feeling of fullness resulting in decreased appetite.
- How long will it take to recover after the procedure?
Since the balloon is placed through an endoscope and no cuts and incisions are involved, your recovery is very fast. In a couple of days time, you will be able to resume normal activities without any restrictions.
- Will the procedure limit my activities?
The procedure will only limit your food intake and not your activities. In fact, a more active life style is highly advisable for optimal weight loss. After 4 days of balloon insertion, we advise to start a regular exercise program to ensure better results and improve your success rate.
- Can I eat anything I want? Are there any food restrictions?
You will be able to eat almost everything but it is highly recommended that certain eating habits are modified. you must follow our nutritionists for successful and sustained weight loss.